Monday, December 30, 2013

Chicken Chili

Hello everyone!

With the colder weather upon us and the new year just ahead, I thought a good recipe was in order.  This is another "comfort food" recipe.  It is from Paula Deen.  

We took some shortcuts with this recipe so, I'll give you both versions.  

The number one thing to keep in mind with this recipe is that it takes a bit of prep work to get it started and it takes a while to cook on the stove.  So, if you're making this, allow some extra time.  This is not something you can just throw together in a jiffy!  LOL.

However, with that being said, it makes plenty so you can save it for several meals.  Also, it is delicious.  You won't be sorry after making this.

Let's start with the ingredients.


You will need the following:

dried great Northern beans, or canned (which we used)
chicken broth
water
chicken
onion
red bell pepper
jalapeno peppers
poblano pepper
 canned diced tomatoes
fresh cilantro
chili powder
ground cumin
salt


We chopped all of our fresh vegetables.


Then combine the following in a large stock pot.

beans, chicken broth, water, chicken, onion, and peppers

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hr.  If you use canned beans you don't have to let it cook as long.


Then add the following:

tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and salt

Bring to another boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for another hour.  Again, we did not let it cook that long because we didn't have the dried beans.


Now it's ready to serve!  Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.  

One thing that we should've done was add more beans.  So, in the recipe below I've included the proper amount of canned beans if you should choose to substitute that.

Now, we have plenty left over!  This can be divided up and frozen for future meals too.

**************************************************************

Chicken Chili

1 pound bag dried great Northern beans, soaked overnight and drained (or) 4 cans drained
3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
1 qt water
3 c chopped cooked chicken
1 large onion, chopped (we only used 1/2)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and minced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt

In a large stock pot, combine soaked beans (or) canned beans, chicken broth, water, cooked chicken, onion and peppers.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hr. 

Add tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and salt.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hr.  

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese if desired.

*************************************************************************

I hope you'll give this a try.  It was um um good!

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year too.  Stay safe if out and about during New Year's Eve too.  

Thanks for stopping by.

~ Kelly ~

10 comments:

Linda said...

Perfect for a late December night! Or a winter's meal anytime! Sounds delicious......Happy New Year, Kelly!!! Have I told you lately how much I enjoy 'following' you?? I DO!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

We are huge fans of soups and chili during the cold months! I really liked Kim's chicken chili on Christmas Eve, and I have been meaning to get a recipe to make it (I have always made the "regular" kind). Definitely will keep this as a reference, and yes, I'll be the weird one using dry beans. lol

Wanda said...

My dearest loves homemade soup, so I will be using this recipe. I have almost everything already. Is it real spicy, as I can't handle real spicy food. Wondering about the peppers? I love cilantro and the garnish looks to tempting.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Thanks for the recipe Kelly..I love chili of all kinds!!
I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year!!!...

Unknown said...

interesting post. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you
HealthCare CPA

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love pretty much anything with cilantro and jalapenos, so I must try this. I like how you added sour cream and cheese on top too. Yum!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Yum! I love having soups on these cold winter days.
Hope your new year is wonderful!

Art and Sand said...

My family absolutely hates anything I cook. But, I am going to secretly make your chicken chili because I can (contrary to what the family thinks) follow a recipe and it looks so yummy.

Bliss said...

Mmmmmmmm.... but I'm always sorry after I make chili if you know what I mean.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Looks yummy Kelli! I make a white chicken chili, but I need to add this red chicken chili to my recipe box. We've got a long spell of subzero temps and I love eating hot soups and stews when it's cold outside. Thanks for sharing!

Happy New Year!